Saturday, June 25, 2011

The complete Oxford dictionary for East Africa (Part II)

Chapter IV: Food

Pizza Margherita: Thick pancake with lumpy bolognaise sauce and carrots.

Chicken with fries: Chewy hen with cinnamon and boiled french fries.

Beef with chilly and fried rice: Knee with onion and cooked rice.

Fish in g-nut sauce with rice: Bones, scales, head and eyes hidden in an unrecognizable pink stew with sand.

Chapter V: Internet

Your first thought would probably be that it is slow. Well, you're right. But to say that would be a gross understatment. The operating speed of any average internet café would blow any western mind into an uncontrolled raging frenzy. You might have seen the legendary youtube clip of that poor demented kid who goes bananas with his poor lagging 80's computer. I am gradually starting to understand the working factors behind that uncontrolled outburst.

Let me bring forth a covering example. Back home I'm used to downloading a movie of about 750MB in well under 15 minutes. In Rwanda it took me the better part of three days downloading the installation file for AVG antivirus. The file was 6.8MB. Starting to feel my frustration yet?
Let's give you another one. 4 out of 5 internet cafés have never heard of the service they so bravely advertise for, and by service I mean the internet.

Chapter VI: Greetings

In western (I was this close to writing civilized) countries, a meeting between two human beings usually plays out like this:

Charles: Have you ever.... If it isn't my fine friend William.
William: Well hallo chap! How do you do this fine morning?
Charles: Oh, you know. Can't complain. And yourself?
William: Not bad. Not bad.

In East Africa however, it plays out a little different. To be frank, there is a difference between a meeting between two locals and one between mafrica and mzungu. I will now be presenting some examples of the latter. The formula has a few varieties:

Twalib: Mzungu!
Charles: ...?
Twalib: Money!

Twalib: Where are you going?
Charles: To my tent.
Twalib: Why?
Charles: Because that is where I sleep at night.
Twalib: Where is it?
Charles: At my campsite (as if I would tell you, crazy lunatic).

Twalib: Give me money (or any item you might or might not be carrying)!
Charles: Where is William? Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment